How to Store CBD Products for Optimal Shelf Life
There’s an increasing demand for CBD products as people become more aware of potential CBD benefits and CBD side effects. That’s why numerous products abound, from CBD-infused drinks and CBD balm to CBD candles, CBD massage oil and CBD moisturiser.
Some people are unsure, however, how to store CBD products to maintain their freshness and potency. Here are some tips on storing CBD products for optimal shelf life.
Does CBD Degrade with Time?
Most of the time, the downside of storing CBD oil for a long period of time is that it won’t be as effective as it could be. So if you’re looking for a CBD product that has a better chance of working, always check its expiration date.
Does Sunlight Degrade CBD?
CBD can be significantly affected by light, particularly UV rays of high intensity. For this reason, CBD is packaged in opaque glass, so it’s certainly not recommended that you remove it from the original container.
What Is the Shelf Life of CBD?
In general, CBD products last from one to two years, depending on the product type and storage conditions. Direct sunlight and excessive heat are two factors that can damage CBD products and diminish their potency.
Does CBD Need to Be Refrigerated?
Does CBD really need to be refrigerated? The short answer is no.
Refrigeration may be a good idea, however, to preserve the product’s compounds and maintain viscosity.
Bulk purchases of CBD should be refrigerated.
If you plan to use your CBD product right away and only purchase one bottle, it can be stored in a cool, dark place like your medicine cabinet. But if you don’t plan on using all the products within a short period, you may want to refrigerate them.
How to Store Different CBD Products
- Light-proof containers should be used to store your capsules.
- It’s safe to store soft and hard gel capsules at room temperature.
- After use, make sure the lid is closed tightly.
CBD gummies and other edibles
- Store products in a vacuum-sealed or airtight container.
- Avoid putting them in direct sunlight; store them in a cool, dark, dry environment.
- In hot or humid climates, refrigerate.
- If you buy CBD gummies in bulk, one packet can be kept in the cupboard, and the rest should be refrigerated.
CBD tinctures and oils
- Keep upright when storing.
- Make sure the storage area is cool, dark and dry.
- Leave them out of direct sunlight, such as on a windowsill or in the car.
- Before using, shake well.
- Don’t let the dropper come in contact with your tongue, mouth or any unsterile surface. Bacteria may transfer to the bottle, resulting in product degradation.
- Keep away from direct sunlight at room temperature near your bed, or store them with your other skincare products.
- After use, always replace and tighten the lid.
- You should avoid using your fingertips when scooping topicals out of jars. Instead, use an applicator or cotton ball. Doing so will prevent the product from being contaminated with bacteria.
Other general tips
- Keep away from extreme temperatures and heat sources like stoves or ovens.
- Pets and children should not have access to it.
- CBD must not be left in a car or any other vehicle.
- Don’t buy more than you need. If you buy more CBD than you’ll use up within a certain period, it’s going to lose its potency no matter how well you store it.
The best thing you can do if your CBD products begin to taste strange or become inconsistent is to throw them out and replace them with fresh ones. By doing so, you’re guaranteed that the product’s benefits will be maximised.
Get high-quality CBD products from Holistic Herb. To make sure your CBD products last a long time, we will always ship them to you with care.
Check out the Holistic Herb CBD shop and discover our premium CBD oil offerings.